Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Weekend Outdoors


This past weekend, I had the chance to travel to North Carolina with some friends and camp. There wasn't much of a plan, but we wanted it that way. Whatever caught our fancy we would pursue, whether it was hiking, climbing, swimming or eating.

We ended up doing a little bit of everything. Our main destination ended up being the beautiful Linville Gorge, a wilderness area not a far cry from the little town of Marion, NC. After a quick stop for grub in Asheville and getting lost many times, we finally found a campsite deep in the woods at around midnight and went to sleep.

The next day was epic. We explored the climbing areas around Table Rock and Linville Gorge, mostly composed of gigantic multi-pitch climbs, not exactly my forte. We met some crazy people from around the Southeast, and I was quite surprised to find Santa Claus roping up on some of the bigger climbs that day. I hope he thought I was nice.



The rest of the day included a gorgeous ridge hike in the gorge and some meager rations for dinner. Basically we ate ramen, soup, and beans. The planning for the trip was sub-par. The night ended with a humongous fire that burnt some holes in my pants and some great stories.

On Sunday we finished the trip with a vigorous hike up Mt. Mitchell (even though you can drive to the top) and a quest to find an asian buffet where we could stuff our faces. We found it in Asian Grand Buffet, emphasis on the "grand". I filled up on ridiculous amounts of sushi, lo-mein, and soft-serve. I'm not the biggest buffet fan, but on that day I was happy. And very, very full.

And if I haven't bored you to death, here's some music...

Pigeon John: Before We're Gone



Sondre Lerche: Heartbeat Radio

No comments:

Post a Comment