Monday, September 20, 2010

Waves and Injuries to Eric: A Love Story


That picture basically sums up my weekend.

My pal Luke and I made a spontaneous trip down to Charleston, South Carolina on Friday to ride some of the big swells Igor was causing on the East Coast. Long story short, I hobbled back into my apartment on Sunday with a cracked board, 6 cuts on my leg (1 fairly deep), a swollen ankle, a skin pigment resembling a cranberry, and zero pride. At least I found some band-aids in my car.

Luke didn't fair much better, both of us getting trashed in the worst way over the weekend. I learned a lot about the different ways a human body can crumple and contort after being thrown by a wave. All equally painful. It wouldn't have been that bad if I hadn't nailed the board with my legs twice, the second one ending my day in the water. Believe it or not, the waves at Folly Beach were around 8 feet on Sunday. They were also fast and broke quick, equaling disaster for our doomed duo.

It wasn't all bad, though. We ended up staying in a hostel for two nights, which consisted of about 20 native Brits and us. We were known as the "Americans" for a change. These Brits were hard drinkers, stumbling into their rooms at about four AM every morning. Luke and I were painfully aware of this because we were forced to endure a shitty band being cranked at full volume from the hours of 4-6:30 from the next room. This is despite the fact that we did everything short of knocking down their door to get them to stop. Thank God I had a collection of smooth jazz on my laptop that we used to drown out the screeching sounds torturing us and finally get back to sleep. Believe me, I was so ready to fight them.

Once I get a longer (and not cracked) board, I will be back to brave the waves once more.

Anyway, music time.

New stuff: Kings of Convenience, chilly folk heroes, soothe the woes of mankind with their song "Toxic Girl".

kings of convenience - toxic girl from françois nemeta on Vimeo.



Old Stuff: I love this song by Burt Bacharach. Most people today have never heard of him, but in the 60's he was a hit machine. His music has a special magic to it, with hints of an era that was lost somehow. Play on, Burt.



Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment