Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Smiths and the People that Might Be Giants



Hey,
As of late, I've been delving into some different music that I wouldn't normally listen to. My natural inclination is to stick to my favorites when it comes to music. I will always love Earth, Wind, and Fire, Billy Joel, Thin Lizzy, and Eric Clapton. Sometimes it's good to mix it up.

Just yesterday I was at the radio station and was given the tedious task of entering e-mail addresses into the system. For no apparent reason, The Smiths popped into my head, which is strange because I'd never really given the band a thought in the past. My only knowledge of them is that the main character in "500 Days of Summer" is quite obsessed with them. Maybe that's where the thought came from. Who knows.

So I put on some of the band's songs while I was working. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually quite liked it. The guitars in the songs had a sweet sound to them and added depth to the moody and introspective lyrics. I especially liked the song "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", a depressing song with dark lyrics that contrast the uplifting beat and guitar riffs. So naturally when I got home, I downloaded their "best of" collection. Quite good.

Check out classic song "There is a Light That Never Goes Out".

Another band I've gotten back into is the strange group They Might be Giants. I've known about them for years, but I'm not really sure how. They definitely are interesting to say the least.

Check out "Birdhouse in Your Soul" and "Dr. Worm"

No comments:

Post a Comment